Tuesday 11 November 2014

Struggling to find my Christmas Cheer.

"Holidays are coming, the holidays are coming..."

I saw the Coca Cola advert on TV for the first time today, the John Lewis advert has been released and that can only mean one thing....IT'S NEARLY CHRISTMAS!!!! 

I'm not one to usually get excited about Christmas (bah humbug) but I did feel I tiny twinge of Christmas spirit before shouting at the TV:

"It's too early!" 

We are in the 2nd week of November, the pumpkins from Halloween have barely been put in the bin and already there is tinsel being shoved in my face when I do my food shopping (oh, I didn't mean to moan but I've started so I will finish.) 

Christmas seems to creep into the shops earlier and earlier every year and I don't know about you but by the time Christmas Day arrives, I'm already Christmas-ed out. 



When I was growing up the first deck to be put up in the house was a few days before Christmas (and disappeared as quickly as they were put up.) 

I overheard someone say today that she had done all of her Christmas shopping, written all of her Christmas cards and her decorations are going up this weekend. 

REALLY?! 

Maybe it's because my parents never really seemed that enthused about Christmas as I got older but I can't help thinking that people need to calm down about Christmas. 

Maybe I am a stone, emotionless and a proper 21st century Scrouge, I didn't even bother writing Christmas cards last year and 2 years ago I had a half thrown together Christmas tree which stayed in my living room until late January (that's a bit of Christmas cheer right? Keeping it up that long? Oh laziness, is that what I can hear you saying?) 

Maybe this year I should try and embrace Christmas a bit more. Of course I will be putting out a carrot for Rudolph and one for Santa (he is getting a bit chunky so don't want to encourage his overeating) for Scarlett's sake but even saying that I am struggling to find my Christmas cheer.

I think I need to make an early resolution and see the positives about Christmas and try and embrace it with a warm woolly hug. 

Here goes....

I love Christmas because....

• It's a day about love and Family 

• it's a time to dust off board games and have a laugh while drinking a cheap bottle of red wine that I will probably buy my Dad. 

•It's a day about food, I LOVE food and those delicious pigs in blankets which for some reason only make an appearance at Christmas. 

•It is almost like a 'national sprout day!' Everyone embraces sprouts at Christmas.  

•Mince pies, mmmm. Mince pies. 

•I always have smoked salmon and Buck's Fizz in the morning. (Yes another point about food.) 

Do you know what? I feel better already, I'm going to dig out my box of Christmas cards and get cracking on them. 

"The holidays are coming!" 

I'm all cheered up. 



 




No comments:

Post a Comment