Tuesday 28 October 2014

Do I have the right to have a child whether my boyfriend wants one or not?

The baby debate continues. I keep dropping little hints that one day I want another one he shoots me down with:

"No. I don't want one." 

So I go about my day and think of an imaginative way to bring the subject up again tomorrow but should I care what he says? 

Why because he has said no do I step down and say ok? 

Why if a man says no to having a baby, a woman is expected to accept it and get on with her life? 

Why can't he accept that I am saying yes we are and get on with it? 

It is my body, I have to go through the pregnancy, labour and afterbirth (which no one tells you about) so surely I have the biggest say? 

I'm not about to get pregnant without his say so and will reluctantly take my pill everyday for the next couple of years but should I have to decide between a baby and my relationship? 

Call me a pessimist (I prefer The term realist) but nothing lasts forever. In relationships there has to be compromise. Should I compromise my choice to have a baby? 

Why does he get the final say? And if that is his final say, should it be our final day? (That sentence is what I like to call poetically correct.) 

So many questions to ask myself but I'm not sure of the answers. 

I know I should be grateful for what I have got and I am, of course I am. In life we tend to want what we can't have, so maybe that's why I am so transfixed on having a baby at the moment. 

But ultimately does no mean no? 

I best go and take my pill and think about the future...








No comments:

Post a Comment