Thursday 23 January 2014

Smelling sweet success - Interview with Stacey Lloyd-Briden owner of Amkims Soap

My second interview with a successful Worthing business is with the inspirational Stacey Lloyd-Briden, who is the owner of Amkims Soap - Taking the bore out of smellies... 

Why did you decide to set up Amkims Soap? 

Amkims Soap started from hobby yet the transition to a business fell under tragic circumstances when my husband died. From then I was having panic attacks and spending a lot of time on my own until one day I looked in the mirror and said to myself, enough is enough. I had to try and sort myself out and the only one who could do that was me. To do this I turned to my hobby. I had been getting lovely compliments about my soaps and how kind they were to skin due to me designing all my products for people with sensitive skin, so I took my hobby to the next level and opened Amkims Soap. 

How did you come up with your business name? 

Amkims Soap is names after my daughters, Amber & Kimberley.

How easy was it to set up and get going?

Setting up a business that has anything to do with skin care can be a gruelling affair, but with enough research and dedication, it can be done. Regarding advertising, I started by word of mouth and online networking. 

What are the biggest obstacles for this type of business? 

I would think getting the assessments, the paperwork and of course making sure every ingredient within the soaps are within specific government guidelines. 

Are there any legalities for this type of business? 

Anyone wishing to set up a business similar to mine must have cosmetic assessments for the products they wish to produce. On top of this, you must be registered with the government and of course have all the appropriate insurance. 

What is your biggest seller? 

I actually don’t have a biggest seller. All my products seem to be as popular as the next, but if I would say a biggest seller within categories, I would say the soap loaf slices and sugar scrub cubes.

How do you find inspiration for new scents or products? 

When I find or mix a new scent I like, I take a piece of paper and draw a design for the soap that has inspired me from the soap. Next I would make a loaf of soap and use that design. 

What motivates you to do this business?


I think this would be my love of creating but also the circumstances I started with. I still get upset at times about my late husband but when this happens, I go straight to my ingredients and start creating. I have found this has really helped keep my mind away from grief. 

What advice would you have for someone setting up their own business? 

Make sure you understand the initial expensive and legalities before doing so. Experiment and test. Give a few samples to members of the public and see what they think. And always work hard. But the main advice I can give is to enjoy it. Running your own business should be enjoyable. 

Where can we see you? 

I attend many events throughout the year which are listed on the Amkims Soap Website and on the Facebook page. I also sell online through the Amkims Soap website and offer free local delivery. 

Getting to know you..... 

What makes you happy? 

My family and friends. I know this may sound like an obvious answer but seeing my family and friends smile really does make me happy. 

What is your secret indulgence?

Options Hot Chocolate...YUM 

What is your favourite movie? 

Princess Bride...Funny Film 

What is the best piece of advice you have been given? 

Life can get you down but never forget there is always someone else worse off.

What is the best thing about Worthing?

The area of where it is. One side the ocean, the other side the countryside. Lovely. 

To order visit www.amkimssoap.co.uk or search Amkims Soap on Facebook to experience your own little slice of deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment