Thursday 4 June 2015

Should we give Father's a break?

After my breakthrough yesterday when Scarlett's actually spoke to me without a hint of venom in his voice, I wondered if I had been too hard on him all of these years. 

Do we expect too much from our children's Fathers?  

Maybe he is doing his best and it is just that my idea of his best and his is completely different. 

I'm not saying we can excuse them for slacking at parenting but they don't have the maternal instincts that us women do. 

I'm sure that our children's fathers could get up at 5 am change and feed the baby, get the other 3 ready for school and nursery do the washing up and run a marathon all before picking the kids up at 3 and we would still probably moan that a plate wasn't cleaned properly. 

Are we too hard on them? Can they ever please us? Should we sit back and be grateful for what we have got? 

I used to moan about getting up in the night with Scarlett when she was a baby but was that not my job? I took over as if he did it as I would be awake anyway so it was pointless for both of us to be up and besides, I was on maternity leave and is that not what it is for? 

Or should men roll with the times and be equal with us now and take on the same role that mothers do as a parent? 

I only have Scarlett and at the moment I don't want another baby, but if I should change my mind in the future, what would I expect from my baby's father? 

Maybe I'm just happy that me and Scarlett's Dad are talking so that's why I'm questioning myself but I hope he is really doing his absolute best and I am just too hard on him. 

What do you think? Do you expect too much from your child's father or an 'acceptable' amount? How much is an acceptable amount? 


No comments:

Post a Comment