Monday 8 December 2014

When should I let my daughter date?

Obviously not now as she is 5 years old but when the time comes and she becomes a teenager, when should I let her have a boyfriend? 

She does like to inform me that Leo is her boyfriend and drew this earlier...


Maybe I should have hope as she has written 41 above their heads. Has she already decided that is the age she will be when she has a 'proper' boyfriend? 

I was watching one on my American housewives TV programmes earlier and one woman said she is letting her daughter, who is 13, date. 

Well, a commotion ensued and the women were divided over whether a 13 year old should be allowed to date. 

The mother of the girl in question explained she had met the boy and his mother as she had invited them over for lunch but some of the women argued 13 is too young. 

Personally, I think the mother did the right thing by meeting the boys mother and the boy. I think by taking their relationship seriously would deter them from rushing or hiding anything. 

They could have a couple of years getting to know each other and when the inevitable time comes for them to decide if they want to take their relationship further and have sex, it would be meaningful and not a rushed job to get it over and done with. 

I hope Scarlett feels able to talk to me about anything when she is older, especially about boys and I think I would invite the boy and his parents over so we could all put each others minds at rest. 

It's scary to think that in only 8 years Scarlett will be 13. I know dating is not something that she is going to ask me about tomorrow but it is something that I need to start thinking about today. 

  


No comments:

Post a Comment