Wednesday 3 February 2016

How to get rid of blackheads


(Sorry about the scary picture.)

Since living in London, I have broken out with teeny tiny blackheads all over my face. They are devils, I have to physically restrain myself from digging the buggers out because I know if I do it will only create a bigger problem and I will be left with a face that will look like I have been attacked by a bear. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and I have been trying to fight the blackheads with my own beauty regime. In a hostel, walking around with a facemask and a bowl of boiling water is not something that happens every day. I am the weird one here, I believe that is safe to say. Well, beauty comes before funny looks so I have created a 5 step plan to get rid of blackheads and keep my fellow hostel buddies amused.

Step 1 – Steam

This one takes some waitressing skills, as the walk from the kitchen to the toilet is quite far. Nonetheless this step is the most basic but the best way to rid my face of blackheads. I simply make sure I have a towel, boil the kettle, get a bowl and fill it with boiling water. Then carefully walk down the corridor with it and into the toilet, lock the door and sit on the toilet with the towel over my head and my face hovering above the bowl.
The steam from the water opens pores to make the buggers know they are not welcome on my face. I have sat for up to 10 minutes in the toilet steaming, but if someone is desperate for the loo I sacrifice about a minute.

Step 2 - Scrub


Step two is my favourite as scrubbing away the dirt and grime from the underground after a long day is always satisfying. This Deep Clean blackhead exfoliator with papaya and licorice for less than a fiver, is a blackhead buster must-have. The licorice and willow bark help fight bacteria and the papaya makes skin look healthy and radiant. This polishes up my skin a treat.


http://www.goodthingsbeauty.com/skincare.php £4.99


Step 3 – Mask


This chocolate orange self heating mask is an absolute wonder, it is infused with dark chocolate and orange oil and is almost good enough to eat (I found out you should not eat this mask, it does not taste as good as it sounds). It warms up as soon as it is put in contact with skin, which is a delicious curious feeling, I received equally curious looks when after putting it on behind the comfort of my curtained bunk bed I had to emerge with clay all over my face, hair and neck. I didn’t have a mirror in my cubby hole. I didn’t care and I will be following my regime every week so I will get used the the funny looks aimed my way.

This chocolate orange mask is 99p from Superdrug, get one before I buy them all!

Step 4 - Cleanse


Seaweed is one of the ‘superfoods’ this year, but I can’t bear the thought of putting it in my mouth, so I have compromised and have put it on my face and around my mouth instead. The Body Shop has a seaweed range and I really love this seaweed purifying facial cleanser. It makes my skin feel cleansed deep down and gets rid of every single bit of dirt and grime. I cleanse again after using a face mask because it just makes my face feel super clean, and helps with my battle to keep the blackheads at bay.

Thebodyshop.co.uk £9.50

Step 5 – Moisturise

I LOVE coconut oil, it really is the best thing that has ever been invented. It has so many uses which I don’t even have the time to begin to go into but believe me, it can be used for pretty much anything. For the purpose of this blog, I will tell you the main place I use it is on my face. I smother myself in it day and night so of course for my final step in getting rid of blackheads, the ultra moisturising coconut oil is always going to be my favourite thing to use.

It starts off as a solid, then after some gentle warming in between the palm it turns into a silky smooth liquid. It has made such a difference to my skin since I started using it, I barely get spots anymore and dry patches are a thing of the past.
Because I am a bargain hunter (ok a cheapskate), I usually just get whatever is on offer in town. The best thing about it is, supermarkets sell it because it can also be used for cooking. Next time you are doing your weekly shop, pop it in your trolley and try it. Let your skin absorb it, which it does relatively quickly as with any standard moisturiser, and say hello to beautiful skin.

Optional step...

Eat a whole box of Milk Tray. Because I LOVE Milk Tray and it was £2.00 in Superdrug and had new flavours such as ‘apple crunch’ and ‘salted caramel charm’. If you have some self restraint you can avoid eating them all, if like me you don’t, eat them all and enjoy every single one. There is also a chocolate orange flavour which matches with the mask perfectly so I don’t eat my face.

Blackheads busted.

1 comment:

  1. Shame they've picked a new Milk Tray man or you could have suggested Sean. Can't beat a bloke in a black polo neck!

    ReplyDelete