Monday 1 February 2016

Local business interview- Beth Emery from WordChatter

Are you a sniffer? 

I don't know about you, but I simply cannot walk past a candle stall at an event and not stop and have a sniff. 

Recently, I have discovered the absolutely thrilling and tantalising candles of WordChatter. 

I recently met Beth Emery while she was on Worthing Seafront selling her candles on the August Bank holiday. After sticking my nose into practically all of her candles, I had to stick my nose into her business...

Tell me when and why you started your business WordChatter? 

I started WordChatter in October 2014 so we're not quite a year old yet. I broke my foot in April 2014 and being a self employed photographer had to put everything on the back burner (long story but my foot didn't heal on it's own and now I have titanium holding it together! I only started to walk on it again in October 2014). WordChatter started out life as a design business that made word cloud pictures of special events or people, or animals, you know the kind of thing I'm talking about? Well it all developed from there and we started making soy candles because we love them. Now our business is mainly soy candles as it's taken off really well. 

What were your first steps when setting up WordChatter? 

First steps is a funny question as when I first started WordChatter I couldn't put weight through my actual foot! ... Anyway I first started like I said in the previous question by designing Word Clouds (which we still do - bespoke to order). But now the soy candles are the main part of the business. 

What are the benefits of using soy wax rather than any other wax?

There are plenty of benefits to using soy wax. We only use 100% soy wax, no blends or paraffin. Paraffin wax is made from crude oil and is not a sustainable product. Soy wax is made from the oil of soy beans which is a completely renewable source. The beans themselves are hulled and processed, the oil is hydrogenated and this makes the wax solid and room temperature. Soy wax candles also last around twice as long as paraffin equivalents. Believe me I've tried and tested! Soy wax also burns cleaner than paraffin. 

Where do you get your inspiration for new candle scents? 

I listen to my customers, I introduced my Cafe Creme (coffee, vanilla and caramel - with actual coffee beans in the candles) fragrance after a customer told me she had been unable to get a decent coffee candle in the UK. The addition of the coffee beans means the coffee scent gets stronger the longer you burn the candle as the beans heat up in the wax and release their own fragrance. 


(Photo- Candy Floss and Bow Ties photography.) 

What is you favourite scent? Oooo now this is a difficult one for me.. I do have my favourites... But I love all of the candles I make. Currently I have an addiction to my Candy Canes candles as it actually smells like a stick of rock.... delicious! 

What is your most popular scent? 

By far it's Lemongrass and Ginger.. I can't seem to make enough of it. It's a really fresh scent with the lemongrass and has a huge zing from the ginger. Nothing is even close to that one in terms of sales. 

Have you tried a scent and decided against it? (If yes, why?) I've discontinued one scent as I wasn't happy with it, I will only keep making something if it sells (not just because I like it - there's only so much room in my house for candles!). I will introduce new ones and see how they fair... but to be honest there is only so much room on a table when you are out selling ... I currently (including Christmas) have 30 fragrances. It's a challenge to get them all out! 

What is the most unusual scent you make? Maybe Lemon Drizzle Cake, it actually smells like cake and a few people have said it smells good enough to eat! I have one candle called Nutty Delight (which I absolutely love - it's a very sweet scent of walnut, pecan, vanilla and sugar) I call it my marmite candle as people either love it or hate it... there never ever seems to be an in-between. 

Aside from your candles, what are the other most popular gifts that you sell? Coasters and key-rings always sell well. Mug sets at Christmas time too (which can be personalised). Wedding prints sell well, word clouds of the details of the wedding. 



What has been your most rewarding moment? Returning customers, people who actually seek to find me at a fair and say how lovely the candles are and buy more. It's what it's all about. I love candles, I love making candles and I love that my customers love my candles! 

Who or what inspires you? I would love to thank Alan Sugar (strange I know) .. but the whole candle making idea came from an episode of The Apprentice last summer. I thought "I can do that" and I have been fully supported by Helen my partner throughout the whole experience.

  

What is the best part about running WordChatter? Meeting lots of people who are fanatical about candles! I've met quite a few (including you Becky!) who just love candles. I love getting out to as many fairs and events as possible and chatting with people about what they like and don't. People are so different and fascinating. 

What are your future plans for WordChatter? I am going to see where it takes me... I would love to get into a few small independent shops to begin with and develop from there. 

What events have you got coming up that we can catch you at? I have loads booked in the diary between now and Christmas. This weekend I will be at Findon Sheep Fair on Saturday 12th and Sunday sees me back at the Pavilion in Worthing from 10am - 4pm. I always post up on my facebook page during the week where I will be that weekend so you can always keep a track of me by jumping across to my page www.facebook.com/wordchatter and you can also sign up for my newsletter which will keep you up to date with what is going on.

What are you waiting for? Stop reading, log onto www.wordchatter.co.uk and find your own favourite WordChatter candle or gift. 

Or if you fancy having a get together with your friends contact Beth on the WordChatter Facebook page or website and arrange a date to have a candle party at home! 


(Photo- Candy Floss and Bow Ties photography.) 


1 comment:

  1. Beth and Helen are also great singers and musicians @RowlandSingers.

    ReplyDelete