Sunday 6 December 2015

Raw chocolate avocado mousse

This is a recipe that I tried out from 'Get the glow' by Madeline Shaw.


This dessert apparently has 'satisfaction guaranteed' however, I will admit I was sceptical about the avocado.

It doesn't look very appetising at first sight with its odd shape and bumpy dark green skin, until today I had made it through 26 years of my life without touching one, but always one to try something different I gave this mousse a go, avocado and all.

The instructions are pretty straight forward and consist of shoving everything into a blender and...blending- not even I could mess that up.

Then came the tricky part, fitting two wine glasses into the freezer to chill them for half an hour.

After some re-arranging (and the sacrificing of some peas), I forced them in and shut the door praying that they tasted as good as they looked.



After half an hour I removed the mousses from the freezer and battled to find space for them in the fridge. The only thing I could sacrifice this time was some wine but that was no bad thing, apart from the fact that there was mousse in my only two wine glasses.

Mug of wine in hand, I dipped into my pudding. The taste was an unusual one. Not a bad one but, a different one.

I think my taste buds were shocked at the lack of sugar but after eating one mousse, the second quickly disappeared.

I will make these again, but I might have to add some crushed digestives on the top just to give it that extra crunch.



Ingredients:

1 ripe avocado, stoned and flesh scooped out
1 ripe banana, peeled
3 tbsp coconut oil
4 tbs raw cacao powder
pinch sea salt
100ml almond milk, coconut milk or rice mile plus extra if needed
1 handful frozen raspberries (I used a sprinkling of desiccated coconut and some dried goji berries

Instructions:

Put the avocado, banana, coconut oil, cacao powder and salt into the blender and blend. Slowly add the milk until the mixture becomes creamy and easily moves around the blender, add a little extra milk if needed.

Pour the mousse into two ramekins or cocktail glasses (or wine glasses), then put them in the freezer for 30 minutes before transferring to the fridge.

Crumble the raspberries/coconut/other berries/biscuits onto the top of the dessert and enjoy. Add a little honey for some added sweetness.





No comments:

Post a Comment