Monday 14 March 2016

I hate spellings!

Diary of a six-year-old.

Spell this I-H-A-T-E-S-P-E-L-L-I-N-G-S!

So Mother is taking an interest in my homework after saying last year she didn’t agree with it. Apparently now I am getting older and because of my lack of interest in anything to do with school, She needs to ‘push’ me more.

I have been having spelling tests since the beginning of this school year and up until a couple of months ago, She was not even aware of that fact. However since She came back from abandoning me in London for work, She seems to have gained an unnatural interest in what I can and can’t spell.

I tried to make it look like I was interested in stuff to get her off my back. A few times when we went out, I pointed to signs and asked what they said and gave a weak attempt at spelling the words out.

I thought I had cracked it when she didn’t tell me to practice my spellings when we got home but I think it was because she forgot as I keep waking her up at night because I want cuddles.

Then came along goodie two shoes, I don’t mean that with menace, I love my new step-sisters but one of them loves spelling a bit too much for my liking and she is making me look bad.

My older step-sister (MOS for short and code as all cool writers have codes for people whose names they cannot mention), is smart-I’ll give her that and she is only a couple of months older than me. But when Mother is trying to get me to do my spellings MOS wants to join in.

I wouldn’t have a problem with it if she was not good at them, but not only does she spell all of the words Mother says aloud, she also makes up sentences with them so I look doubly bad.

A couple of weeks ago Mother made me practice my spellings twice a day everyday with MOS, when I had my test at school a few days later I got 4 out of 5 spellings right when the previous week I had only got 1 out of 5 because I had not practiced.


I was overjoyed and so was Mother so she was a bit lax with my spellings the following week and again I only got 1 out of 5. So now this week She is on turbo mode, and so am I.

When I came home from school I asked for sweets (standard after a hard Monday), and she told me I couldn’t have any until after I had done my spellings. I couldn’t believe my ears and I decided if she was going to force me to do something, she would see that I could play a game with her too.

I wrote the words so badly, they were illegible- Ha I thought that would show her. I was not expecting her to bark at me and tell me to write them properly.


Reluctantly I did them again, huffed my way through and then cried silently when I got to the end. I knew if that didn’t tug at her heart strings then nothing would.

She told me to stop crying and to pick a sweet for finishing them, but added I would have to do them again before bed so I can show my teacher I have been trying.

I think she wants to show the teacher to prove that my spellings are not down to her lazy parenting but rather due to my unwillingness to practice.

I really must find a way to get out of this horribleness, if any other six-year-olds out there have any advice, I could really use it right now...

#Agonyaunt

(Oh, for those of you wondering, I used spell-check a lot when writing this and the thesaurus is a magical tool!)

No comments:

Post a Comment